Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Father calls cops on daughter's underage drinking party, six teens charged

Father calls cops on daughter's underage drinking party, six teens charged

Police are calling it a courageous act and a lesson for parents. A father turned in his own 17-year-old daughter and her friends after they snuck alcohol into her birthday party. The teens were arrested.
“The rules were no alcohol, no tobacco, no drugs anybody in violation of the policy was to leave and I had kicked several people out of the party for smoking.” Jim Keyser says the rules were clear for his daughter Rachel’s birthday party.
When teenagers pulled into his driveway and left an unconscious male on the ground. Keyser called 911. “I was quite angry and then I suspected that there might have been some alcohol brought into the party that I didn't know about.
Keyser helped deputies search, finding more than 20 beer cans down a ravine. Sheriff Philip Povero says Keyser did the right thing. “We can't say enough for the homeowner who was courageous enough to call and report this, realizing that people attending his daughter's birthday party could be held liable and could be subject to arrest by the sheriff's office.”
Arrested around 2 a.m. this morning for underage drinking were: 17-year-old Rachel Keyser, 18-year-old Richard Smyth, 18-year-old Joseph Zerdoner, 16-year-old Annemarie Palumbo, 16-year-old Anthony Walsh and 17-year-old Brandon Davis.
The boy who was unconscious, 18-year-old Ryan Fried, will also be facing the same charges. “There's sometimes an attitude or a pervasive believe that I’m not going to get caught or this isn’t going to happen to me.”
Sheriff Povero says Keyser won't be facing charges because of the social host law, meaning he didn't know the teens were drinking on his property. But Keyser said it's a tough choice knowing his daughter has to face the consequences. “It's extremely frustrating and I was very disappointed with my daughter because the rules were clear.”

No comments:

Followers

Blog Archive

Search This Blog