Saturday, July 11, 2009

Keeping Kids off the Street Without Curfew

Rochester, N.Y.) -- Thursday night marked one month since a New York Court of Appeals declared Rochester's teen curfew unconstitutional.
Police say there was a noticeable drop in crime involving teens when the curfew was in place.
In 2007, 567 teens under the age of 17 were arrested during curfew hours. In 2008, there were 512 arrests.
Community leaders say community response is the key to preventing problems.
As executive director of community association Group 14621, Eugenio Cotto, Jr., has received a lot of phone calls from neighbors.
“A lot of people are stepping up to the plate and letting us know there's youth hanging out. Not that they're doing anything wrong, but there's potential for that to happen,” he said.
Cotto hopes those calls continue.
“We need folks, that, if they see these thing happening late at night, that they let someone know these things are occurring,” he said.
When the curfew was struck down, Mayor Bob Duffy said he would work with his staff on a new curfew that abides by the law.
Meanwhile, police are working with some organizations like Group 14621, Pathways to Peace, and Neighborhood Service Centers to come up with new ways to keep teens off the streets.
Rashad Clay, manager of New Creations Unisex barbershop, believes parents should be held responsible to keep kids off the streets.
“You have to be a parent, 24-7. And you can't depend on someone else to be the parent of your child, basically,’ he said.
Shantel Johnson, the mother of two agrees, but also says parents could use some help and thinks Rochester should bring back the curfew.
“I do see a lot of teens out on the streets, hanging on the corner. If there aren't any rules, then there are no rules to follow,” she said.


OWNERS COMMENTS
ITS THE PARENT RESPONSIBILITY TO KEEP THERE KIDS OFF THE STREET AT NIGHT
NOT THE POLICE DEPT THEY ARE NOT LICENSED DAYCARE PROVIDERS THAT THE PARENTS JOB
TO DISOPLINE THERE KIDS.

ROCHESTER INTERNET RADIO DJ

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

no wonder why these kids are getting kills and your right it is the parents job not the police dept job as daycare providers!!!!!!!

Reckoning said...

Anonymous WHEN I POSTED MY COMMENTS YOU ALSO MADE ANOTHER GOOD POINT THERE ALSO BECAUSE PARENTS ARE SO STUPID BECAUSE THE KIDS DICTATE TO THIER PARENT.THATS WHY IF I EVER HAD A SON OR A DAUGHTER I DICTATE TO THEM OTHERWISE GUESS WHAT THEY WILL HAVE A MAJOR PROBLEM WHICH I WILL WIN AND THEY WILL LOOSE.

Reckoning said...

ANOTHER THING TOO I FORGOT TO ADD WITH MY LAST POST THESE KIDS DONT UNDERSTAND WHAT OLD FORT KNOX WAS WHEN I WAS GROWING UP.I FUCKED UP I GOT MY ASS WHOOPED WITH A BELT UNTILL MY ASS WAS RED NOW YOU THINK THESE PARENT WILL DO IT NO AND YOU KNOW WHY THERE NOTHING BUT A BUNCH OF CHICKEN SHIT.PLAIN AND SIMPLE .THESE PARENTS NEED TO GROW SOME BALLS AND MAKE THESE KIDS LISTEN TO THEM OR SLAP THEM UPSIDE THIER HEADS A FEW TIME TO LISTEN OR BETTER YET USE A TIMBLE UPSIDE THERE HEADS THATS WORKS ITS CALLED AN ATTENTION GETTER....

Followers

Blog Archive

Search This Blog