Rochester, N.Y.) - One local man fielded two calls last week asking to update his business's online yellow pages listing, but it sounded suspicious.
Now the Better Business Bureau, Frontier, and the attorney general's officer are looking into scam calls.
Michael Bloch's home business places lawyers in jobs. Last week he received a call that sounded fishy, the second time he received the same call this week, he recorded it.
"I was just curious, so I played along with them to see what it was they were doing," he explained. "As the call went on, I knew pretty quickly that it was a scam, because as soon as they start recording something, you know they're recording it for a reason."
Bloch became even more suspicious as a live person talked over a recording.
"It was pretty clear this lady was purposefully talking over what the automated message was saying, so you couldn't hear it [the original recorded message]," Bloch said.
Part of the scam said: "Do you understand this is the last question, Mr. Bloch; we need to confirm you understand this is your free basic listing with the online yellow pages. After the tone I need a clear ‘Yes.’ Thank you.”
Bloch said, “What you're saying yes to, I assume, is some kind of authorization for a monthly payment."
The Better Business Bureau suspects the same thing. Bloch's call came from Carson City, Nevada. Similar businesses have "D" or "F" ratings with the BBB.
"The bottom line is, they're trying to get you to agree, to: ‘Yes I'll agree to a $30-some charge a month,’"explained Pat Coakley of the BBB. ”None of the legitimate ones would do it that way."
The BBB indicated businesses should be on the alert for similar calls, and thanks to Bloch, they'll know what to expect.
"I was very pleased to hear that; we've got a business owner that's taking care of business," Coakley said.
Bloch has yet to receive a bill, and Frontier was quick to apply a “third party billing block" on his phone so that he won’t be billed. That's an option for every customer.
Frontier passed along other tips to avoid getting scammed; they’re attached to this story.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment